Friday 18 March 2011

Perseverance

What am I willing to go through for the Kingdom of God?
Jeremiah has gone through many different trials and challenges with God and for God. Jeremiah knows he is called to bring the word of God to his nation. I saw yesterday that they didn't just disregard the words of God but they burnt it as well. Jeremiah had great perseverance through many struggles. Romans 5 v 1-5, "1 have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." These verse talk of one of the patterns in life, we all hit troubles and problems whether it’s our own doing our something someone else has done to us. It is how we deal with it that matters. I know there are times in my life when I have had to focus on persevering through big problems but other times with smaller problems it is just what I do. But the key thing is if we do choose to persevere then our character is built and breeds a hope for salvation inside of us, I always look at it like this - this hope for salvation isn't something we contain, when we really carry it can't help but be contagious to others. How contagious am I as someone who has a hope for salvation living in me and the living God in me?

Jeremiah 37 v 1-21
Jeremiah once again brings the word of God to the King telling him of the ever present attack by the Babylonian army but once again the King ignores Jeremiah, one of the problems was that the King Zedekiah wanted a superficial relationship with God. So Jeremiah decides to go out of town for a while but as he gets there he is arrested and spends a long time in prison. Yet at soon as the king summons him he has a word from God, Jeremiah could have easily turned his back on God while in prison. The Jews relied on the Egyptians to save them but they ran as soon as the Babylonians turned on them. Instead of putting their faith in God they put in other people. Zedekiah wavered in his decisions; should they resist or give up? So he summoned Jeremiah hoping God had changed his mind or had something better to say. But Jeremiah spoke again what God was saying. He brought Jeremiah in the back entrance because he didn't want to be seen talking to him. Jeremiah persevered and faithfully spoke the words of God.

When we go through problems and challenges, we have comparable things on our side - the presence of God, the purpose of God and God's word. But we have one other thing as people now that Jeremiah didn't, other Christians in the church family to support and pray for us. Jeremiah may have had a couple of followers but he doesn't really mention anyone as such. Philippians 4 v 6-7, "6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  We can pray with others and share with others so they can pray for us. It is a simple and obvious thing but sometimes I forget that the Christians around me can be a great encouragement and cheer me on as I persevere through things.

Who have I got around me that can cheer me on?
How can I prepare myself for the challenges to come?


No comments:

Post a Comment