Sunday 22 May 2011

The Seven Trumpets - Part 4

REVELATION 10 v 1-11
Can we stomach what God has to say to us? Can we stomach what God wants us to do?
The purpose of the mighty angel is to declare the final judgments on the earth. He stands with his right foot in the sea and his left on the land to show the judgments cover all creation, in comparison to the seals and the trumpets which just dealt with parts of creation. The seventh trumpet which this angel will blow will allow the seven bowls to begin and the end of the present world. When these final judgments come God's truth will prevail. God has revealed all we need to know about the end of the present world, enough so that we can live for Him.

Here’s one key thing I notice about this angel, as he comes down from heaven it very much resembles Jesus' transfiguration, Matthew 17 v 2 - "There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light." This similarity clearly defines the angel as from God. Not just that but God has given him the authority to declare this message.  

After the angel brings the message he gives the scroll to John for him to eat. Ezekiel had a very similar experience with the presence of God which is what the angel in Revelation represents. Ezekiel 2 v 8 - 3 v 3 - "8 But you, son of man, listen to what I say to you. Do not rebel like that rebellious people; open your mouth and eat what I give you.” 9 Then I looked, and I saw a hand stretched out to me. In it was a scroll, 10 which he unrolled before me. On both sides of it were written words of lament and mourning and woe.
 1 And he said to me, “Son of man, eat what is before you, eat this scroll; then go and speak to the people of Israel.” 2 So I opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat.
 3 Then he said to me, “Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and fill your stomach with it.” So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth."
Ezekiel was asked to eat the scroll so he had the revelation of God deep down inside of himself. John was the same; the angel wanted him to be full of the revelation of God to go and prophecy to all nations. 

There are two key elements to eating of the scroll. 
  1. It tastes like honey on the lips. Sometimes God calls us to things and it has a nice title or a nice salary which all tastes great and is all part of God's plan for our lives. When we start something new and exciting it is like honey on our lips.
  2. It will sour the stomach. But if we don't realise that with a powerful position will come great challenge and anguish as we work through situations with people and in our own lives which sometimes we wish these situations would go away. Then we will end up in a mess. The angel warns John of the turmoil to come after eating it in his stomach.
The overriding factor is that God doesn't allow us to be in turmoil for the whole journey, there will be ups and downs. The blessing that comes from stomaching what God has got for us and getting on with it is the most exciting journey I know. I believe the sour stomach John had at the start wasn't something that lasted forever but it was a reminded of what he was called to do.

Are you ready to stomach what God has for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment