Friday 1 April 2011

The Repercussions Of Pride

JEREMIAH 48 v 26-47
When do I need to humble myself?
Moab was condemned for its pride. God can't tolerate pride because it is taking credit for what God has done. God doesn't condemn taking satisfaction in what we do (Ecclesiastes 3 v 22), but if we overestimate our own importance God will come against us. Romans 12 v 3 - "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you." This teaches us how to have a good estimation of ourselves. The Moabites had overestimated their own importance and didn't give God any of the glory. Even though God is condemning Moab for its pride he still cries over them.

God has a lot to say about pride:
Proverbs 6 v 17 - "eyes that are arrogant"
Proverbs 11 v 2 - "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom."
Proverbs 27 v 2 - "Let another praise you, and not your own mouth."
Luke 18 v 14 - "Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
God has a lot to say about it because, pride is basically someone saying to God - " I can do it on my own", "I know it all" and "I don't need your help God." God sees pride as a start to a lot o our problems with sin because when we go it alone we are more susceptible to sin. This doesn't mean that humble people don't sin.

"Pride comes before a fall."

This verse in Luke 18 v 14 is key to how we should be humble in all we do but at the same time exalt God. When Jesus calls us to let our light in Matthew 5 and for the world to see our good deeds to direct them to the father - this is part of the purpose of what Jesus was talking about with his principle of humbling and exalting.

For me there is a lot to think about and God is working through this with me. Because it is easy to become proud when i have preached well at church or the Holy Spirit does something through me. But I need to stay focused on the giver of the gifts and not the gifts and how they can make me look good but how they can make the giver look even better.


No comments:

Post a Comment