Friday 15 April 2011

Sent

MATTHEW 28 v 16-20
What does it take to be a missionary?
-  We get this amazing last preach from Jesus but it isn't just some other motivational speech, Jesus imparts something these men and women.
-  The call of Jesus is a big call one which others have backed away from in the past - Jonah.
-  Jesus imparts his authority which has been given to him by the Father. 
-  I believe this is how we should initiate leaders, give them a challenge to take on, but be there to support them. As Jesus promised the Holy Spirit would come.
-  Jesus was not asking the disciples to do what he did even most of them were martyred, because James and John had previously requested this, Mark 10 v 35-39 - "35 Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do for us whatever we ask.”
36 “What do you want me to do for you?” he asked.
37 They replied, “Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.”
38 “You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said. “Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?”
 39 “We can,” they answered.
Jesus said to them, “You will drink the cup I drink and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with, 40 but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared.”"
-  They did not know what they were asking for Jesus doesn't burden us with saving the world because he has already done that, our job is to be a light in the place where we are or where God calls us too.

-  Jesus had given his authority out once before the Great Commission.
-  Matthew 16 v 16-20 - "16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
 17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah."
-  Jesus passed on his authority to Peter here specifically.
-  The main thing Jesus did in preparing them to be missionaries was doing life with them. They followed Jesus' every move sometimes he wouldn't make a direct teaching point of it but they would copy.
-  What does it take to be a missionary? I think you need one thing KAVANAH (God's purpose and presence in your life).

No comments:

Post a Comment